From welding the ring together I found that the location holes don’t need to be quite as offset as I made them. The pins need to be more of a snug fit as I found it hard to weld together without there being holes still visible in the shank. I had to stop filling them up as I was making more holes than filling them and the shank was becoming too large from the buffing away of the excess filler wire.
I wrapped some cling film around the flower to keep it clean and safe from any market go on it accidentally and also to stop dirty fingers touching it after polishing; this turned out to be effective.
The flower also moves around a bit but that was intended as it means that there is a little more given in it if it were to get caught on something when worn. I also think that it keeps within the organic feeling of the piece with the flower having some movement rather than it just being a rigid set thing.
As a working prototype I am pleased withe the way that this can be assembled relatively quickly and I'm sure that in the future if I were to make this again not only would my laser welding skills have improved but I also know what to do next time in terms of offset widths so there is more of a snug fit between the parts.
I am a third year student at the School Of Jewellery in Birmingham. Posts will be based upon my progress through my final year on this DFI course.
© 2016 Jewellery by Rebecca Wilkes.
All content on this site belongs to Rebecca Wilkes.
Any images or ideas taken from this website without permission of the site holder will face prosocution.